Friday, July 12, 2019

Heather’s Interesting Travel Experience Or Destination - West Point, NY


Traveling - it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.”
Ibn Battuta

Lake Frederick, New York


Leaving on an airplane – hopefully. It was Wednesday night and I’m heading to West Point, New York the United States Military Academy. After working till 5:30, I run home, change out of my uniform, do a few last minute things, and then take off with Josh, my Uber driver and awesome son, driving me to Augusta Regional Airport in Georgia. My flight was to take off at 7:50 pm and I wanted to be there early to make sure I was on the flight. I guess getting there early is from Joe being in the Army and having to be prompt, if not incredibly early everywhere we go. So Josh, drops me off at the airport, where I say goodbye to him, wishing he could come with me to New York, but it was not to be.

Beautiful clock at Augusta Regional Airport

I get inside the airport and there are no lines and walk right up and get my boarding pass. It was so smooth and easy since I had no luggage, just me, my book, and my purse. I thought to myself that I must look pretty suspicious since I only bought a one way ticket and I had no luggage. Well, I guess I was right about that as when I went through customs, I must have looked like someone up to no good. I went through the machine, where you stand on the footprints with your arms raised and a camera goes around you. When I stepped out, the security lady says to me, “Shug, you have a couple suspicious spots I need to check.” I looked back at the machine and there on the screen was a cartoon like figure with a few circles marking the suspicious spots. She was very nice in that before she touched anywhere she explained what she was going to do. So feeling like I was going to prison, I was patted down my legs and around my waist. I wanted to joke with the lady who was being serious saying something like, “That was good for me, was it good for you?” But I didn’t think she would find the humor in it so I giggled to myself as I started to walk away. Oh no, she wasn’t done with me quite yet. Then she asked me to put out my hands, and she swabbed me for explosive residue. After she wiped my hands down, she put the swab into this machine that analyzed the results and it read all clear. I passed the test. Woo Hoo. I asked the lady what would happen if something would have been on my hands and she told me an alarm would go off. I was permitted to carry on after that, put on my shoes, and go to my gate for boarding.

Raymond Floyd, famous golfer

John Deere Tractor

James Browns snazzy clothes

Now just so you know, Augusta’s airport is tiny. There are only four gates I believe in the whole airport. It is a stress free airport as no one is rushing anywhere or to do anything. Walking down the corridor to the gate area just outside the windows on either side, you will see green grass and a garden area. There is a Raymond Floyd statue in the airport with a golf club. Who was he you ask. I didn’t know either so that is where Wikipedia comes in and I found out her was a great golfer known for his PGA tour career and Champions Tour. His career spanned from the 1960’s to the 1990’s. So since Augusta is known for the Masters tournament he was placed at our quaint airport as an honor. Next is a John Deere Tractor because There is a plant for making them right here in town. And then you come up to the “piece de resistance” - the display with some of James Brown’s amazing outfits and shoes. What an amazing dresser and talent. He was from Augusta and was a treasured gem. Then there is the beautiful antique clock that used to be on Broad Street in Augusta, Georgia. It seemed to be keeping good time in here whereas it never did when it was downtown. What a gorgeous clock.

Notice the rocking chairs looking out over the runway.

Check out the details on this clock.

I love there are rocking chairs to sit in facing the runway. How lovely, quaint and totally southern. There is one restaurant/bar in the terminal that closed at precisely 8 pm and the gates came down. My flight was due to take off at 7:50 pm so I had some time and I sat down and read my book, a Nicholas Sparks book called “Two by Two” if you are interested. It is quite a good book so far. My phone dinged and I checked to see what it was and it showed a delay of 35 minutes for my plane. I was okay with it as I had plenty of time to get to my connecting flight. I continued to read and heard people around me saying it was a mechanical issue that they are working on. Then another announcement came over the loud speaker saying the flight was delayed for another 30 minutes while they figured out what was happening with the airplane. The natives were getting a little restless now but all was still calm. Then about ten minutes later, came the announcement that there may not be a flight coming in that night. Okay. About that time, people were on their phones making plans of what the may need to do. Oh my. Then everyone got in line to the American Airlines customer service desk to see what we all could do as far as our connecting flights. What was wonderful is that the people from Augusta stayed calm and everyone talked with everyone. “Where are you flying to?” Will you miss your connecting flight?” and then onto “Do you live in Augusta” “What brings you here?” on and on.

People lining up for vouchers after connecting flights were to be missed.

When I got to the counter, the young man trying to make everyone happy had a stressed smile on his face as he worked hard to get everyone where they needed to go. He was quick and efficient. He looked at my tickets and tried to get me on another connecting flight that night but it wasn’t happening. He did tell me his best option was to get me on a plane that was leaving Augusta at 10 pm to Charlotte that night where they would put me up in a hotel for the night and fly me out the next morning. So tomorrow I would fly out of Charlotte’s airport and fly into JFK (John F. Kennedy) Airport in New York City in the morning instead of Newark, my original destination. Oh my.

After letting Joe know that I would not make it tonight, I had to call and change my car rental from Newark to JFK. That all worked smoothly. As I sat at the gate waiting for the plane to come in, I watched the people around me and listened. It seemed as if the majority of people would miss their connecting flights and be delayed until tomorrow. One lady was a soldier coming home from deployment and hadn’t been home in over 9 months. She was delayed till the next night. She just said, “Well I’ve been gone this long, what does another day matter.” Then there was the girl who was going to meet her boyfriends parents for the first time and would be delayed near a day. But all remained calm and their was no anger, it was all just matter of fact. My situation was good compared to some and I was not stressed over it but actually relieved that I was able to get such an early flight in the morning. I was only apprehensive about driving in New York City.

Our little shuttle plane with my friend running to get out of the picture. 

Notice that I am in the last seat in the back of the plane.


Weird looking mist coming from vents cooling the plane off.


Finally the plane arrives, and we get boarded. I saw the pilot and co-pilot board and realized they were younger than any of my children. As I looked for my seat, I found it was the last seat on the plane in the very back next to wear the stewardess sits during the flight. I had a window seat and no one was next to me so it was nice. As we were sitting on the tarmac, you could see all this steam in the airplane as it was trying to stay cool. It looked a little scary and as I sat I wondered if this was the same plane they did the repairs on tonight. We took off over Augusta and headed to Charlotte. That is when the stewardess sitting near me started coughing and sneezing. Oh my. I asked if it were allergies and she said no – just a cold. Where’s a mask when you need it. I did feel bad for her as that went on for over an hour. As we descended over the city of Charlotte, I could see fireworks lighting up the area all over town. They were like tiny puffs of color from the sky.

My hotel room for the night at La Quinta Inns and Suites donated by American Airlines.

After arriving in Charlotte, I got in another American Airline Customer Service line and when I got to the counter, I handed the ticket to the attendant and she in turn gave me a new ticket for tomorrow, a hotel voucher, and a meal ticket. She told me where to get the shuttle and off I went. I called the number of the hotel and they had a shuttle on its way. The shuttle arrived only a few minutes later, and loaded up a couple other people and we headed to the hotel. After getting to the La Quinta Hotel and getting into my room, which was lovely, I realized I had never slept in a hotel room by myself. That was an odd feeling but I was thankful that everything went that smooth. Kudos to American Airlines that made a bad situation nice.

Rise and shine, early the next day, and down to the lobby for breakfast. I’m not so much a breakfast person, so I got a yogurt and hot tea and sat and watched the news waiting for my shuttle to depart. Everything went off like clockwork. As I showed my ID before going through security, the guard looks at my name, Sepielli and says, “That is an Irish name right.” I said no it is Italian but my husband was raised by the Irish. I continued through security again and would you believe it, I got to be patted down again and swabbed. “Sweetie, I’m just going to touch you here and there, okay?” I am not sure why I am targeted on many occasions, but I am. wonder how they profile people – older lady traveling alone with a smile on her face – She looks guilty of having to much fun -she must be the one. Well, I passed there test again and off I went to my gate. This time the plane went off on time and all was well.

Art at JFK.

I was happy to get another window seat. We flew straight up and into the clouds and for a while the plane got dark and you couldn’t see anything outside the window. Then we emerged from the clouds and realized we were on the other side of the clouds. After a while, I looked out the window again and now saw we were flying over the ocean. It looked like glass. The waters were so calm and you could see the paths where the boats had been for a long distance. The sun appeared on the ocean as an iridescent shimmering light on the water, sparkling, and then disappearing. Then land appeared. How odd and lonely the land appeared on this side of the plane with nothing but ocean past the slivers of land. I realized we were flying over the Outer Banks in North Carolina as there were long stretches of narrow uninhabited islands with beautiful beaches and no homes. The long narrow islands continued and got larger the further north we went and then you could start to see homes appearing and a more inhabited area. Then I came to the epiphany that God created these narrow islands to protect the main land. Just another of God’s miracles.

The pilot announced we were descending into JFK and I looked out again and seeing the vastness of the ocean. The lonely tankers and cargo ships traveling to places unknown were scattered across the serene water. It was a perfect landing and then we were off.

My rental car with all the bells and whistles. 

When I got off the plane at JFK in New York City and was walking around the terminal, I realized everyone I passed was speaking a foreign language. I did not hear anyone speaking English. Did I just land in Happenstance-town? I felt like I just arrived in another country. It was an odd feeling knowing I was in the good old USA and couldn’t understand anyone. If you haven’t flown into this airport it is a little confusing. I was directed to the air train that would take me to where the rental cars were. First I got on the wrong train that went around the airport. I jumped off at the first stop and went to the other track and found where to go, Jamaica. Am I in NYC? A My train pulled up and I hopped on. It was an about a 10 minute train ride till I got off and went to the Hertz counter to pick up my rental. The counter lady was very helpful especially when I couldn’t get my drivers license out of my purse. It was in a clear pocket jammed in there but was so tight, it just wouldn’t budge. We both gave up so she had to put in the information from my card into the computer by hand. As she goes to hand me the contract, I notice I’m to return the car to Newark, NJ and not Stewart Airport in Newburgh, NY. She told me to contact Orbitz and have them change the destination. I did and it all worked out.

Now for driving in the city. Yikes. It was a nervous racking with all the crazy drivers. It was not as bad as I feared but they do drive wild here. I was tough a persevered. I drove another two hours and then I pulled into my destination for the next four days – Lake Frederick, NY. Home again, Home again, jiggety jigg. We have done our West Point trip now for 30 years. This is our home away from home. I pulled up to the camp and had a wonderful greeting by everyone. I felt like a celebrity.

Sunset at Lake Frederick.  Glad to be here.

Well, this is where my tale ends and all the fun really begins. The moral of the story, if there is such a thing is, when traveling it doesn’t always work out as planned, but make the most of it. This trip was an experience with lots of kinks in it but I never got upset. Thankfully American Airlines was wonderful throughout even when things became difficult.   I did not like missing time with my friends, but I got there safely and all is well and met a few nice people along the way. Good bye for now.


"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out."
John Wooden



#American Airlines                       #LakeFrederickNewYork             #MilitaryCampgroundsNY
#NewYork                                     #WestPointNewYork                    #BeautifulPlacesNewYork

No comments:

Post a Comment