Wednesday, August 15, 2018

The Church of the Most Holy Trinity - Augusta, Georgia


To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.”
Martin Luther




Walking up the granite steps, I looked up to the cross at the top of the church and the bell tower. What a beautiful sight. The flowers were beautiful in the cement planters on either side of the two massive, heavy, ornately carved wooden doors.


When I first tried to go in the church to take pictures last week, I opened up the doors and there was a wedding party waiting to go down the isle. I said a quick, “I'm sorry” and quickly closed the door and left. Today I was able to go in since it was about an hour before mass started and the church was pretty much empty. I opened the door and went into the Narthex of the church and saw the beautiful marble floors. The first thing I noticed was a gorgeous marble sculpture of the Last Supper. This dates back to 1898 and was at the main alter of Sacred Heart Church before being moved here when both parishes were combined in 1971.

I walked through the large panel doors and entered the Church. Oh my, how lovely. This is such a beautiful church. Joe and I are members of the church and love it. I feel God's presence so strong here. I feel as if God came up to me and wrapped his loving arms around me and welcomed me. What a comforting feeling.


After saying a silent prayer, I walked around and took pictures of this gorgeous church with the ornate pillars, beautiful stained glass windows, marble alter, religious statues, and amazing painting of Christ on the cross high above the alter. The fresco painting was originally the work of Messrs. Lamkau and Kreuger. In 1963 the painting was redone by Adolph Frei & Sons, Inc from Philadelphia. The twelve ornate pillars are iron columns painted in dark coral and gilt. The interior is 69 feet wide and 47 feet from the floor to the ceiling. The marble alters were made by John P. Mullen from Baltimore and they were smuggled in during the Civil War.

In the choral loft is the magnificent Jardine Organ which was built during the Civil War but not able to be installed until 1868 when the Union withdrew their blockade. The organ was built by George Jardine and Son from New York City and it has 1,432 pipes. In 1994, the organ was completely restored.






The current church was built from 1857 – 1863 and is the oldest surviving Catholic Church in Georgia. It is a perfect example of the Early Romanesque Revival style. The corner stone was put in place on July 19, 1857 and the building was consecrated on April 12, 1863.

Our family has been to many a mass and many a special occasion at this magnificent church. The midnight Christmas candle lit mass is beautiful. The details of the church are incredible in this most holy place of worship. Go inside and sit in a pew. Feel God's presence, take in the beauty, and say a silent prayer. God bless everyone. My prayers are with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment